Monday, June 17, 2013

First Transfer Down

Hey all!

Can you believe I have been gone 2 months! I can't! Crazy how fast it goes! It was a very interesting week. And weekend. We found out about transfers. Sister Halliday (my trainer) is leaving to train someone else, and Sister Salvesen and I are staying here! So that should be interesting, but good :) I am excited to be back down to two people. Maybe I will be able to get a few more words in now! :) Except we actually haven't been able to work much, because Sister Salvesen got hit by a car on Thursday. Yeah. Ask me. I'll explain the rest later. 

Monday we had lunch with the Sherwoods, which was awesome. I love them! They are leaving in July so I am super sad :( They are like my new set of grandparents out here ha. Although Monday was also kind of a sad day because I got dad's letter saying that our dog Angel died :( I started crying and my companions didn't know what to do. She was the best running partner! 

Tuesday we ran into our biggest storm yet. Got stuck and soaked. So we had to sit at a member's house and wait for the rain and lightning to pass. That was frustrating. I hate feeling worthless. I got a package from Lindsey Delcore though so that was really exciting :)

Wednesday was Zone Conference in Orlando. It was AMAZING! I felt the spirit so strong! The missionaries leaving all bore testimonies and so did Pres. and Sister Hall because they leave in two weeks. And of course we all cried. And said our goodbyes. It really built by testimony on the Savior and how we can't do it without Him. He is what makes us the missionaries we are. So I am trying to be a better representative of Him :) I also read Elder Holland's talk from conference, "Lord, I Believe." Oh my gosh it was the best. Just what I needed to deal with my stupid patience and faith issues! He tells us to remember our strengths before our weaknesses, and a lot of other good stuff! "Honestly acknowledge your questions and concerns, but first and forever fan the flame of your faith, because all things are possible to them that believe!" So so good. Everyone should go read it. 

Thursday we were biking to go see Steve. We are trying to go in the mornings more so that he is more sober. I always lead the way on our bikes, because I know the area best. But I made Sister Salvesen lead because they complained about not knowing the area very well. Well we were riding on the sidewalk and a car pulled out of the subway parking lot and hit her. Oh my gosh it was the funniest and most scary sight! I accidentally said a four letter word and ran over there. Along with everyone else who saw. I had to rip her skirt because it was somehow stuck in her handlebars. We got her inside an insurance office and someone called 911. They came and checked her out, but she was tough. Funny thing is, my helmet wasn't strapped because it would have messed up my hair. She hit her head pretty hard, so if I would have been leading, I might have died. Yeah. I know. Anyway, turns out the woman that hit her is our investigator Danielle's boss. And Danielle has been trying to get her Sunday hours cut so she can go to church! So hopefully that will happen now ha :) Bea, a member, came and got us later and took us to urgent care to get x-rays. They wouldn't let us go though because insurance crap. But, we saw Monica, a lady we have been trying to start teaching! Pretty cool. We then spent about five hours at the ER. Turns out just a sprained foot and some bruised and swollen knees. So she is on crutches and not supposed to do much for about a week. Sister Halliday said the moral of this transfer is: Don't pray for humility, and be patient so the Lord doesn't have to teach you patience. She had wanted to work on being humble this transfer, and she had digestive issues the whole time. Let's just say we have learned a lot and are excited for the next six weeks haha :) 

Friday we went to a temple grounds tour with Grace, the 85 year old women. She loved it! :) So did I. It was a cool experience. We want to try to move her baptismal date up. She loved church yesterday too :) We are still working on Steve. Gonna teach the Word of Wisdom this week, so that should be interesting. He loves the Book of Mormon though. :) 

So yeah. This is freakin hard. But I am learning so much! I am writing how I see the Lord's hand in the work every day. And also trying to compliment my companions daily to help them and build our relationship. I am still trying to learn patience. It is very hard. Especially when we can't work. I feel worthless. But, our success as missionaries is measured by our commitment! Not any numbers or anything like that! :) It's amazing how the Lord works. I feel like He just has like a puzzle he is putting together up there! 

Well, I love you all. Pray for Sister Salvesen to heal quickly, because I might die staying in the apartment all day haha ;) Have a great week! :) 

Love, Sister Lowry 

No comments:

Post a Comment