Monday, May 13, 2013

Staying Positive!

May 13, 2013

Hello everyone! :)

 I have like no time to email so this sucks. I will hurry so please ignore typos ha! And tell people to write letters rather than email becuase everyone is emailing but I'm getting no letters so the time just isn't balanced between the two ha. I have an hour for each! Anyways!

 It is amazing here. I am in a trio. My trainer is awesome. We actaully opened up a new area. Yeah. Two hard things. Ask me. But my companions are amazing and the ward I'm in is amazing as well. It is in Cocoa. Which is right by the coast. No, I haven't seen the ocean yet. This week was mainly just getting to know the area. And one of my companions has been sick/homesick so we have had to take some time for her to get better. I have this goal to "talk to everyone," and I don't think they are feeling it as much. So hopefully it can rub off on them. I am like not homesick at all. It was nice talking to the family yesterday and seeing their beautiful faces, but I love it here too much to think about it really. It has been in the high 80's with about 80% humidity. The worst is when we are biking and we get to a house and take our helmets off and my hais is all wet and my face is dripping and my back is wet cause my backpack. Then my butt hurts so bad from my bike seat and my legs are burning. And no one is home when we get lost and take so much time trying to find their house. But it's just so great because I STILL LOVE IT!!! I am seriously so blessed. There is so much I want to write about but I just don't even know where to start!

 The first couple days were rough. All I've wanted to do is get out and work and teach, but there was so much logistical stuff to figure out. We had to move out of our apartment the second day because Fair Housing laws don't allow three people to live in a one bedroom apartment. So the Elders came over and helped us move. Thank goodness. But our apartment is way nicer now. Two bathrooms! :) But it's upstairs. So I should get some good arm muscles carrying my bike up and down! We do have a car but we mostly bike unless it's like way far or night time! But our apartment is way nice, and the ward members totally decked it out for us. They also had a welcome dinner for us when we got here! They are awesome! We are hoping to really work with them to get referrals and stuff because our area is so huge that we can't really just tract around and find people very easily! The ward had like 400 people in it i guess but only about half are active! So we will be working on less actives a lot!

 The next day was also very rough! We set out biking to visit some invesigators from the area/map book that we got late! But we are very thankful to have it now! We aren't completely starting from scratch! But we went down the wrong road about a mile so we turned around and met a homeless guy and his dog. We told him that God loves him and is there for him and we had a prayer. He started crying (hopefully from the Spirit) and snot was running all down in his beard. The whole time I'm just thinking in my head "see him how God sees him" which is something I have to tell myself a lot lately! But when we were leaving he shook our hands and planted nice snotty kisses on the back of them! Yum! Thank goodness for hand sanitizer! Then we kept going to get to Florence's house! We were super excited becuase we have just had a really good feeling about her! Then Sis. Halliday, my trainer, crashed on her bike. She was bleeding everywehre so we went this little ice cream place to get her cleaned up. Of course I bought a shake while Sis. Salvesen was cleaning up the bloody knee. Well then Sis. Salvesen bought a water for Sis. Halliday and threw it to me to give to her. Don't even ask me why I thought I could catch a water bottle with a shake in my hand. It went all over the front of me down my outfit, on and in my backpack that was sitting in front of me, and all over the ground and my arms and legs. And it was gone. Yeah. I was pissed. So anyway we decided that we were not going to let satan stop us from getting to Florence, so we kept going! But, Sis. Halliday's bike was broken from the crash. Yeah. So we walked our bikes because we were almost there. Florence wasn't home. Welcome to the mission! So we saw some other people and started talking to them. Not interested in religion. Welcome to the mission! So the Sherwood's, the amazing senior couple in the area, came and got us and we were smashed in the back of a van with our three bikes. Yeah that was a rough day.

 It has just been a rough week with trying to get to know the area and find new investigators and stuff. One of my goals is just to not get discouraged and I have actually been doing pretty good. My companions say they wish they could always be positive like me, so that made me feel good! I just really want to keep this enthusiam for my whole mission. I think since I have been waiting my whole life for this, it is just kind of easier for me! I mean of course it's hard, but I just don't think of myself! I'm not here for myself. It's awesome. I love the feeling. I love this. I love everything about it! Even spilling ice cream. It's just a really great experience. I love this gospel so much that I just am so glad I can serve the Lord by sharing it with his children! I hope we get to teach more this week though rather than just find! Mother's Day was great! Happy Mother's Day to all you mothers! You are amazing! :)

Love,
Sister Lowry :)

No comments:

Post a Comment