Sunday, April 12, 2015

Support

To continue on a little bit about the story of my mom from the last post, I want to write about how we can use others for support when we go through hard things. Like I mentioned, I was with my cheerleading team when I heard about my mom. We were at the national competition in Disneyland, my last time ever competing. Everyone is supposed to leave their stuff in the practice gym, but I felt like I needed to keep my phone on me. We were up in this big stadium watching the teams perform and waiting for our turn. My dad called so I stepped out to talk to him. He was crying hysterically and told me that everything was going to be okay. I was so confused, but then he told me that my mom was gone. I literally could not believe it. I was eighteen years old, and I felt like my life was falling apart. The first person who saw me crying on the phone was one of the cheerleaders running the competition. I'd never met her, but she just hugged me until I got off the phone. She assured me that everything was going to okay and that Heavenly Father and my mom were watching over me and helping me.

That was the first of many comforting words and hugs. From a complete stranger. She will never know the affect she had on me, because I will never forget that. After that my teammates and their parents and my coaches were so amazing. We still performed and did the best we ever had. I had hundreds of phone calls, texts, Facebooks messages, emails, cards, and letters of support and comfort from probably everyone that I know. My coach drove me back to Utah early so I could be with my family. A friend then drove me to Richfield where my family was staying with my grandma. I can't even begin to describe all the ways we were served and loved.

Probably the most support we felt was the next day as we listened to the Prophet of God give comforting words about the Plan of Happiness that God put forth for all His children. Thomas S. Monson, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reminded us the answers to the questions--Where did we come from? Why are we here? Where are we going? This man didn't know what my family was going through, but God did. And I know without a doubt that President Monson receives revelation from God for us, so that we can learn, grow, receive the comfort that we need, and be happy.

One of my favorite things to do is talk to people. I love when they listen and sincerely care about what I am saying, and I am so grateful for those who have done that for me. I am learning to be that person, and be better at listening, so I can provide the love and support that others do for me. The smallest phrases and gestures can do wonders for someone who is going through a hard time. When I get home from school and my roommate asks me how my day was, it means so much to me! Or when they other one asks me if I need dinner. I feel so much love from them and for them.

When it rains, it pours, right? Well the past few weeks were kinda rough for me. But they were also pretty tough for my two roommates/best friends. I needed them, but they also needed me. I realized that God was giving me and opportunity to get outside of myself and help them, which was exactly what I needed to get through my rain. So when dealing with hard things, take advantage of those people who are willing to help you, support you, and comfort you, and try to do the same for them :)





No comments:

Post a Comment